Win Prizes !
Free Music !
Free Tablature !
Image6.jpg (16565 bytes) Win Prizes !
Free Music !
Free Tablature !


Volume 6, Number 3
January 18, 2001
Editor: Joseph Trainor


On Thursday, January 11, 2001, at 9:53 p.m., a gigantic green
fireball lit up the night sky in the USA west of the Mississippi
River and was seen by hundreds of witnesses.

The glowing object first appeared in the eastern sky and was
reported by people in North Dakota and South Dakota.

According to Peter B. Davenport, director of the National UFO
Reporting Center in Seattle, the "giant green fireball was seen
from locations in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico,
Arizona," plus North Dakota and South Dakota.

Various reports "were inconsistent" in agreement on the flight
path of the object, Davenport added, "And some credible reports
suggest that more than one object may have been seen."

Several witnesses in Boulder, and (elsewhere) in northern
Colorado, report that the apparent diameter of the fireball was
approximately equal to two diameters of the full moon."

"One witness in north central Kansas was looking almost due
west when he allegedly witnessed the fireball, (which was)
approximately equal in size to his thumb held at arm's length.
It descended almost vertically to the horizon."

"Other witnesses report the object reaching the horizon but no
one reported hearing a sonic boom."

Also, the same evening, residents of Rockford, Illinois
reported "witnessing three to 23 lights" over the city at about
9 p.m. "The lights moved in a variable formation and drifted
across the sky for approximately 20 to 30 minutes"

Rockford, Ill. was the site of a previous UFO overflight in
February of the year 2000. (Many thanks to Peter B. Davenport
for these reports.)


On Wednesday, January 10, 2001, at witness in Wilmington, Ohio
"reported that at around 3:-5 to 3:-7 a.m., a huge boom was
heard and 'felt'.' Nothing was seen but the witness heard
another distant boom, much the way thunder echoes."

On Thursday, January 11, 2001, at about 6:30 p.m., two adults
and a four-year-old child from Jefferson County, Ohio were
driving "north on (Ohio) Route 151 near Steubenville," when
they saw that "a bright light seemed to be moving back and forth
and looked like a triangle shape" as they drew closer.

"A flashing red light was said to be hovering over a tree and
vanished as they approached. Suddenly, a rumbling sound became
audible to the threesome." (Many thanks to Kenny Young of
Cincinnati UFO Research for these reports.)


On Saturday, January 6, 2001, at 10:30 p.m., Landy Tucker was
driving on Highway 101 in Clifyu, Kentucky when he saw "a UFO
that came from the northeast."

Tucker added, "I was traveling down Highway 101 in Clifty when
I noticed something in the sky. I pulled over to look at it. It
made no sound but I could feel some sort of vibration as it
passed over my head. I watched it for five minutes and then it
disappeared over the Kentucky hills."

"I don't know what it was, but I was the only person who saw it
that night. It was dark in color and V-shaped but made no sound.
It flew away to the west southwest."

Tucker estimated that the UFO was "12 feet high, 20 feet long,
5 feet wide at the front and 10 feet wide at the back." (Email
Form Report)


During the month of December 2000, Lynch Mountain in eastern
Kentucky was the site of many strange reports.

Residents of nearby Appalachia, Virginia reported seeing "oval
luminous UFOs" hovering over the mountain, located on the
Kentucky/Virginia state line. Mysterious white vans were also
seen in Appalachia and in nearby Norton, Ca. and also south of
Pikeville, Kentucky, about 15 miles (25 kilometers) to the west.

According to local researcher Chris Light, the USA Department
of Defense built a facility there sometime in the 1950s.

Now Albert LaFrance, a historian specializing in underground
facilities and communications networks of the Cold War era, is
seeking more information about Lynch Mountain.

UFO Roundup has learned a bit more about the area. But the new
facts merely add to rather than clear up the mystery.

In 1917, the USA's federal government acquired 42,000 acres of
land in the Lynch Mountain area as a "strategic coal reserve,"
as part of the national defense effort in World War One. The
coal was mined by the United States Coal and Coke Company. and
the four mines in the area remained open for a couple of
decades. There was one serious coal miners' strike in Lynch,
Ky. in 1934.

UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor has turned up a few strange
Fortean ties to the Lynch Mountain area.

Just north of the mountain is Pound Gap, which was originally a
migration route for Virginia settlers coming into Kentucky.
Pound Gap was originally called "Sounding Gap" because of
strange booming noises heard by the first pioneers.

""At first called Sounding Gap because the rocky formation
seemed to give back a hollow sound, the name was corrupted to
Pound Gap."

Lynch Mountain was also a powwow site for the Ontouagannha and
Ani-Yupuya, indigenous peoples of the region (also known as
Shawnee and Cherokee Indians - J.T.)

The Ontouagannha war chief Benge (pronounced Ben-gay - J.T.) was
killed nearby in a battle with Kentucky and Virginia militia
back in 1794.

The area was also the site of a bizarre murder in 1935, when a
man named Maxwell was found dead of multiple stab wounds. The
murder was amazingly similar to those of Nicole Brown Simpson
and Ron Goldman in Los Angeles in June 1994. The victim's
daughter, Edith Maxwell, was tried for the crime. Her first
trial ended in a hung jury. But Edith Maxwell was convicted in
the second trial and sentenced to twenty years at the state
women's prison.

"Interestingly, there are two unusual feature names in the
area," Trainor added, "There is a Looney Creek leading up to the
mine. And a oddly-named Faith Hill. Perhaps some reader can
tell us where these names came from." (See Kentucky: A Guide to
the Bluegrass State, Harcourt, Brace and Co., New York, N.Y.,
1939, pages 242, 243, 438 and 439. Also Virginia: A Guide to
the Old Dominion, Oxford University Press, New York, N.Y., 1940,
page 539.)


On Thursday, January 4, 2001, Doug McGinnis and a fellow worker
"stepped outside at about 5 p.m." at their workplace in Saginaw,
Texas, 14 miles (25 kilometers_ northwest of Fort Worth, "and
we were stating how the sky had been very clear over the last
few days when suddenly, we both noticed in the western sky a
round black object which seemed to be floating slowly. It was
about half the size of a thumbtack held out at arm's length. "

"It then started moving towards the northeast and seemed to
shine like a star or something reflecting light and seemed to
shrink in size at times. Then it would appear round and black
again. This continued for about four to five minutes and then it
was gone." (Many thanks to Living-Tracer Enterprises Report for
this item.)


On Sunday night, December 31, 2000, Allan Ferguson was outdoors
in his hometown of Capitol, California *population 17,000) when
he spotted a triangle-shaped UFO.

""I saw it approaching from the north," Allan reported, "It was
a flying V shape with lights on the edges. It was very high. It
seemed to be among the stars. The thing suddenly took off to
the south at lightning speed. The object was very high and
extremely fast." (Email Form Report)


The Self-Mastery Earth Institute in Trout Lake, Washington
state opened its second year of UFO sightings with the taping of
a large object near Mount Adams.

The institute, also known as the Sanctuary, was the site of UFO
events throughout the year 2000. Over 700 sightings have been
reported at the ranch, located 49 miles (64 kilometers)
northeast of Portland, Oregon.

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, ranch owner James A. Gilliland "was
driving down Little Mountain Road, which is adjacent to the
Sanctuary," on the north side of the Columbia River, "when a
very large luminous object caught my eye on the face of Mount
Adams, which is approximately 13 miles (24 kilometers) away. It
was not yet dark and the object was so bright we could not miss

"The only possibility might be a large Snow-Cat (a snowmobile
the size of a small bus - J.T.) with a bank of Halogen lights.
The light was far more brilliant than any (aircraft) landing
lights, yet we had to dismiss all possibilities. It was pulsing,
going on and off and moving from side to side. It also moved up
into the rocks, a large lava flow (on Mount Adams) that was not
covered by snow. These boulders are enormous, and there is about
eight feet (2.5 meters) of snow up there. The location is also
in the Wilderness Area where no motorized vehicles can go."

Halting the truck, Jim and his two companions got out to
further observe the UFO. Jim grabbed his camcorder and began
shooting footage. "I continued to film it, and all of a sudden,
it took off, and another brilliant light appeared directly above
that position. It looked equally the same only now it was rising
rapidly and moving towards the east."

Shortly afterward, "a small jet, most likely military, was
vectoring in on it. When the jet came close, it (the UFO) picked
up speed and vanished. This we caught on film. As I just
centered on the course of the UFO, it disappeared on the

"Then the light appeared again overhead lit up brilliantly and
dimmed yet again. I caught the tail end of it on film. due to
the slow response of the camera. ."

Jim said that ABC and FOX affiliates had visited the ranch and
videotaped the phenomena. He added, "Seattle's Evening Magazine
also covered the event, yet each time they had to put their
twist on the story, like we were filming street lights or
meteors. There are no street lights anywhere near the ranch, and
'meteors' do not hover or make right-angle turns." (Many thanks
to James A. Gilliland for this report.)


On Wednesday, January 10, 2001, Andy Wendell reported, "At
approximately 10:50 p.m., my wife happened to look out the
window of our house, which faces the south-southeast, and
observed a bright shimmering object about 10 to 15 degrees above
the horizon. The object appeared stationary and at an
unestimable distance" away from their house in Solon, Maine.

"It resembled the brightest of stars that shimmer and shine
(red, blue, white - A.W.) yet the object at that height above the
horizon was absolutely too big to have been a star, and because
of the position and the shimmering, it was not Venus. We
observed the phenomenon for approximately four minutes, at which
point it disappeared, probably by having traveled away from

Andy and his wife did observe the UFO with a pair of
binoculars. "It did not look like a plane, . My binoculars
showed only bright and flashing lights at this distance. No
definition and no movement until the lights disappeared." (Email
Form Report)


On Monday, January 1, 2001, at 12:25 a.m., Dr. Jann Arende, a
physician and amateur astronomer, his wife and his sister-in-law
were watching the New Year's celebration fireworks from a lofty
hillside in the suburbs west of Freiburg, a city in southern

"The sky was almost clear and visibility quite good," Dr.
Arende reported, "When walking back down the hill at about 12:25
a.m., we suddenly noticed a flickering object approaching from
the east over the city of Freiburg. The object appeared somewhat
oval or triangular in shape. The color was yellow or orange,
with a glistening or flickering of the color across the object.
It then appeared as if the object were hovering up in the sky.
The size was about one-quarter of the full moon."

"The object moved slowly and stealthily towards us at an
approximate great height (altitude). It took one minute for the
object to reach a point directly above us. We heard no sounds
that we could attribute to the object. The color continued to
flow across the object. When the object had reached a point
roughly above us, it stopped moving and remained motionless at a
point close to the star Capella in (the constellation) Auriga."

"After about three to four minutes, it started to move again
but it moved in a different direction and went north. The
(departure) speed was similar to its speed during approach."

"When the object halted above us, we started running home to
get our binoculars. Viewing it as it went away, the object
seemed smaller in size and retained its flowing orange color.
We used 10 X 40 binoculars to observe the object.. The shape
appeared to be similar to a triangle with a convex rounded base.
At that point, the object disappeared behind a wall of clouds
moving in from the north."

""The observed event, however, was different from anything I
have ever seen," he added.

Freiburg is located 100 kilometers (60 miles) southwest of
Stuttgart. (Email Form Report)


"Peasants affected by the animal deaths attributed to the
Chupacabras have been visited in past weeks by 'unidentified
agencies' willing to purchase their silence."

"The Chupacabras continue to cause unexplained phenomena and
'backlashes' among the populations of the various rural sections
of Calama," a city in northern Chile which has been host to many
UFO and Chupacabra sightings recently.

"One Internet website" in Chile "discovered the fact that 'a
mysterious agency' is offering money in exchange for silence."

"The source, who asked to remain anonymous, said several
strange noises have been heard on their rooftops during the
course of past evenings, , aside from the sense of fear
conveyed by these incidents."

"They revealed that the lack of street lights in certain areas
makes the situation all the more disturbing. Dogs whine when
they begin to hear footsteps on the roof, and a strong smell of
decay can be perceived throughout the entire day."

"The peasants noted that they have again started to lose
animalism but claim having received money to keep quiet,
especially about missing cattle, to avoid any public

"Furthermore, some of the affected farmers claim to have
received cash from 'unidentified agencies' willing to 'pay' them
a certain amount for such animals but in exchange for their
silence. Some are told that that it's a loan they can use to
acquire new cattle; and others are told that they can use it as
they please, provided they don't report these events." (See the
Chilean newspaper La Estrella de Calama for January 6, 2001,
"Agency offers money in exchange for silence on Chupacabras."
Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales, autor de los libros Chupacabras
and Other Mysteries y Forbidden Mexico, a tambien Gloria Coluchi
para eso articulo de diario.)


In Massachusetts, "a man was hospitalized after his small plane
lost power, hit a power line and dove into the Taunton River,"
an estuary of Mount Hope Bay just east of Smoerset,Mass.

"Peter Baldwin, pilot of the four-seat plane, walked away from
the crash and was listed in good condition. His flight departed
from Newport, Rhode Island."

In Utah, "the bodies of nine people were recovered from the
Great Salt Lake in Utah hours after a twin-engine plane
apparently crashed in five feet of water. There were no

"The group was returning from a skydiving trip from Mesquite,
Nevada. when the plane went down late Sunday," January 14,
2001., officials said. "Helicopters and boats were used to
recover the bodies." (See USA Today for January 15, 2001,
"Massachusetts," page 6A; and January 16, 2001, "Nine die when
plane crashes in

Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for more UFO
and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you
by "the paper that goes home - UFO Roundup." See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2001 by Masinaigan Productions, all
rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on
their websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.

E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
or use the Sighting Report Form at:


January  2001 
Return to UFO Folklore !
 * ****
........................................... . . .. * * **