from "The Oz Files" by Bill Chalker

In 1959 Papua New Guinea was still a territory of Australia. June of that year saw the spectacular sightings by Father William Gill, an Australian Anglican missionary, and 37 members of his Boianai mission. Gill made notes about the experience, which the media obtained. Stories appeared in August, causing a sen- sation. I have had two extended interviews with Reverend Gill and was impressed with his quiet and certain manner in relating the events. What follows comes from his own account of the affair.

Only the day before the sighting, Gill had composed a letter to the Reverend David Durie, Acting Principal of Saint Aidan's College at Dogura, to accompany a report regarding a UFO sight- ing made by Stephen Moi, an assistant teacher at Gill's mission.

'Dear David, Have a look at this extraordinary data. I am almost convinced about the "visitation" theory. There have been quite a number of reports over the months, from reliable witnesses. The peculiar thing about these most recent reports is that the UFOs seem to be stationary at Boianai or to travel from Boianai. The Mount Pudi vicinity seems to be the hovering area. I myself saw a sta- tionary white light twice on the same night on 9 April, but in a different place each time. I believe your students have also sighted one over Boianai. The Assistant District Officer, Bob Smith and Mr Glover have all seen it, or similar ones on different occa- sions - again, over Boianai, although I think the Baniara people said they watched it travel across the sky from our direction. I should think that this is the first time that the "saucer" has been identified as such.

'I do not doubt the existence of these "things" (indeed I can- not, now that I have seen one for myself) but my simple mind still requires scientific evidence before I can accept the from- outer-space theory. I am inclined to believe that probably many UFOs are more likely some form of electric phenomena--or perhaps something brought about by the atom bomb explosions, etc. That Stephen should actually make out a saucer could be the work of the unconscious mind as it is very likely that at some time he has seen illustrations of some kind in a magazine, or it is very possible that saucers do exist, but it is only a 50/50 chance that they are not earth made, still less that they should carry men (more likely radio controlled), and it is still unproven that they are solids.

'It is all too difficult to understand for me; I prefer to wait for some bright boy to catch one to be exhibited in Martin Square.

'Please return this report as I have no copy and I want Nor, (Rev. Norman Crutwell) to have it.

Doubting William

Anglican Mission,
Boianai. 27/6/59'

The events of the next day converted the Doubting William, as the next letter graphically indicates.

'Dear David,
Life is strange, isn't it? Yesterday I wrote you a letter, (which I still intend sending you) expressing opinions re the UFOs. Now, less than twenty-four hours later I have changed my views some- what. Last night we at Boianai experienced about four hours of UFO activity, and there is no doubt whatsoever that they are handled by beings of some kind. At times it was absolutely breath- taking. Here is the report. Please pass it round, but great care must be taken as I have no other, and this, like the one I made out re. Stephen, will be sent to Nor. I would appreciate it if you could send the lot back as soon as poss.

Convinced Bill'

As indicated by his notes, Gill saw a bright white light in the north western sky. It appeared to be approaching the mission and hovering about 100 metres up. Eventually 38 people, including Gill, teachers Steven Gill Moi and Ananias Rarata, and Mrs Nessle Moi, gathered to watch the main UFO, which looked like a large, disc-shaped object. It was apparently solid and cir- cular with a wide base and narrower upper deck. The object appeared to have four 'legs' underneath it. There also appeared to be about four 'panels' or 'portholes' on the side of the object, which seemed to glow a little brighter than the rest. At a number of intervals the object produced a shaft of blue light which shone upwards into the sky at an angle of about 45 degrees.

What looked like 'men' came out of the object, onto what seemed to be a deck on top of it. There were four men in all, occasionally two, then one, then three, then four. The shaft of blue light and the 'men' disappeared. The object then moved through some clouds. There were other UFO sightings during the night. Gill described the weather as variable sky--scattered clouds to clear at first, becoming overcast after. He estimated the height of the clouds at about 600 meters. The first sighting over the sea, according to Rev. Gill, seemed to be about 150 metres above the water all times. The main UFO was clearly vis- ible and seemed mostly stationary during the twenty-five minutes of observation.

Astonishingly, the aerial visitor put in a repeat performance the following night, 27 June. Gill prepared another statement.

'Large UFO first sighted by Annie Laurie at 6 p.m. in appar- ently same position as last night (26/6/59) only seemed a little smaller, when W.B.G. saw it at 6.02 p.m. I called Ananias and several others and we stood in the open to watch it. Although the sun had set it was still quite light for the following fifteen min- utes. We watched figures appear on top-four of them--no doubt that they are human. Possibly the same object that I took to be the "Mother" ship last night. Two smaller UFOs were seen at the same time, stationary.

One above the hills west, another over- head. On the large one two of the figures seemed to be doing something near the centre of the deck--were occasionally bend- ing over and raising their arms as though adjusting or "setting up" something (not visible). One figure seemed to be standing looking down at us (a group of about a dozen). I stretched my arm above my head and waved. To our surprise the figure did the same. Ananias waved both arms over his head then the two outside figures did the same. Ananias and self began waving our arms and all four now seemed to wave back. There seemed to be no doubt that our movements were answered. All mission boys made audible gasps (of either joy or surprise, perhaps both).

'As dark was beginning to close in, I sent Eric Kodawara for a torch and directed a series of long dashes towards the UFO. After a minute or two of this, the UFO apparently acknowledged by making several wavering motions back and forth. Waving by us was repeated and this followed by more flashes of torch, then the UFO began slowly to become bigger, apparently coming in our direction. It ceased after perhaps half a minute and came no further. After a further two or three minutes the figures appar- ently lost interest in us for they disappeared "below" deck. At 6.25 p.m. two figures re-appeared to carry on with whatever they were doing before the interruption. The blue spotlight came on for a few seconds twice in succession.'

Gill has described how he and the mission people called out to the men, even shouting at them, and beckoned them to de- scend, but there was no response beyond what has already been noted. Two smaller UFOs higher up remained stationary. By 6.30 p.m. the scene had remained largely unchanged, and Gill records that he went to dinner. Subsequently critics were to question this--why would someone walk away from such an extraordinary sight? 'I'm always asked this question,' Gill has said, 'either in puzzlement or with a sneer.

Having had about four hours of this sight on Friday night, we were not nearly so interested when it returned on Saturday night, especially after we were unable to persuade it to land. You must also keep in mind that there was nothing eerie or other-worldly about any of this. It was all so ordinary, as ordinary as a Ford car. It looked a perfectly normal sort of object, an earth-made object. I realised, of course, that some people might think of this as a flying saucer but I took it to be some kind of hovercraft the Americans or even the Australians had built.

The figures inside looked perfectly human. In fact, I thought they were human, that if we got them to land we would find the pilots to be ordinary earthmen in military uniforms and we would have dinner with them.

At 7.00 p.m. the 'No. 1 UFO' was still present, although it appeared somewhat smaller. The group of observers went to church for evensong. After evensong, visibility was very limited with the sky covered in cloud. Nothing else was seen that evening. At 10.40 p.m., a very penetrating, 'ear-splitting' explosion woke up people on the station. It sounded like it had come from just outside the window of the mission house. Gill felt it did not sound like a thunderclap. Nothing had been seen, but the whole sky was overcast. Other less compelling activity occurred the fol- lowing night. Then it seemed the Boianai visitants had gone. But the controversy had just begun.

Reverend Gill was at the time of his sightings already sched- uled to return to Australia. This presented civilian groups with an excellent opportunity to assess the credibility of the reports.

All investigators found Gill to be very impressive. This led one of the leading civilian groups, the Victorian Flying Saucer Re- search Society, to view the Gill reports as constituting the most remarkable testimony of intensive UFO activity ever reported to civilian investigators. They were unique because for the first time credible witnesses had reported the presence of humanoid beings associated with UFOs. The major civilian groups of the day, in a spirit of new-found cooperation inspired by the significance of the Boianai observations, distributed copies of Gill's sighting report to all members of the House of Representatives of Australia's federal parliament. A letter accompanied the report, signed by the presidents of the participating civilian UFO groups, urging members of parliament to press the Minister for Air for a statement about the attitude Air Force Intelligence had to the New Guinea reports.

On 24 November 1959 in federal parliament E.D. Cash, a Liberal member from Western Australia, asked the Minister for Air, F.M. Osborne, whether his department (specifically Air Force Intelligence) had investigated the reports. The minister's reply did not address this question, but instead focused on the general situation, indicating that most sightings of UFOs were explained and 'that only a very small percentage-something like 3 per cent--of reported sightings of flying objects cannot be explained'. A representative of one UFO group was advised by the Directo- rate of Air Force Intelligence that the Department was awaiting 'depth of evidence' on the New Guinea sightings.

However, the department had not even interviewed Gill. Finally the Minister for Defence requested a report and the RAAF interviewed Gill on 29 December 1959, some six months after the sighting. Gill's recollection of the visit is that the two officers from Canberra talked about stars and planets and then left. He heard no more from them.

As one might expect, Gill's account was dismissed by the RAAF despite its extraordinary nature and the number of witnesses. The senior interviewing officer, Squadron Leader F.A. Lang, concluded:

'Although the Reverend Gill could be regarded as a reliable observer, it is felt that the June/July incidents could have been nothing more than natural phenomena coloured by past events and subconscious influences of UFO enthusiasts. During the period of the report the weather was cloudy and unsettled with light thunder storm. Although it is not possible to draw firm conelusions, an analysis of rough bearings and angles above the horizon does suggest that at least some of the lights observed were the planets Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.

Light refraction, the changing position of the planet relative to the observer and cloud movement would give the impression of size and rapid movement. In addition varying cloud densities could account for the human shapes and their sudden appearance and disappearance'.

My own close analysis of the reports suggests that the RAAF 'explanation' of either known planets seen through fast moving cloud, or natural phenomena' does not bear up.

Over the years there have been a number of 'explanations' put forward to account for the Boianai sightings, including as- tronomical misidentification, hoax, cargo cult effects, and that Gill had myopia and astigmatism. (In fact at the time he was wearing correctly prescribed glasses). None of these satisfacto- rily address the evidence. Dr Alien Hynek, and staff at his Center for UFO Studies, went to great lengths to investigate and re- search the affair.

Hynek and Alien Hendry, the the centre's chief investigator, concluded the 'lesser UFOs' seen by Gill were at- tributable to bright stars and planets, but not the primary object. Its size and absence of movement over three hours ruled out an astronomical explanation. My own discussions with Gill led me to the same conclusion.

Most recently there was an attempt at explaining the whole affair away by suggesting that Gill and the other witnesses were confused by a false horizon, and that all they had been watching was a brightly lit squid-boat and crew too busy to do more than just wave at the people on shore. This idea is not tenable when one realises that Gill was certain that the object he saw was at a 30 degree elevation in the sky. A more radical attempt to dispose of the Gill case came from UFO sceptic Daniel Cohen in his book Myths of the Space Age.

The Boianai visitations are enshrined in a classic piece oTAus- tralian fiction. Novelist Randolph Stow's 1979 book "Visitants", which has the Boianai visitations as a backdrop to a striking story of confrontation and disintegration, emerged from Stow's expe- rience as a cadet patrol-officer in Papua-New Guinea. He was an assistant to the Government Anthropologist. His novel opens with this sentence: 'On 26 June 1959, at Boianai in Papua, visi- tants appeared to the Reverend William Booth Gill, himself a visitant of thirteen years standing, and to thirty-seven witnesses of another colour.'

The Boianai 'visitants' still stand as remarkable evidence for an impressive aerial anomaly and are regarded as some of the best entity reports on record. At the time of writing I spoke again with Gill. He still remains puzzled by what he saw and was pleased that an authority like Dr Hynek had independently inter- viewed him and some of the other witnesses and travelled to the site. While he accepts that the sightings remain unexplained, he questioned my characterisation of some attempts to explain them as 'silly'. He felt that these 'explanations' were serious attempts to bring understanding to the events. I think that attitude encap- sulate the integrity of Gill and the reality of the affair.

In 1973 Alien Hynek visited Australia and Papua New Guinea nd found six of the witnesses to the Boianai events. They all upported Gill's version of what had happened.

.....based on Reverend Gill's own written statement prepared on location in 1959 and interviews with Gill I undertook, in particular in 1978; See also "Papua/Father Gill revisited", International UFO Reporter, November and December 1977 (CUFOS) and Jerome Clark, "Close Encounters: History's Best Case.", Fate, February 1978. VISITANTS AT BLENHEIM: Dykes 1981, 34-38; Stott 1984, 123-126; Chalker 1992, 349-350

(A rough sketch taken from p 97 can be found at the Cyberkitty BBS on Oz (070) 976 801 in the UFO area. (51 of course!) It is on line 8 pm - 7 am AEST Fri, Sat and Mon. More paranormal images not available elsewhere will be progressively placed at this site.)

Quoted Directly from Bill Chalker "The Oz Files" Duffy & Snellgrove Sydney 1996 ISBN 1 875989 04 8. pages 91 - 98 and 232.

Copies of this excellent book can no doubt be obtained by ringing Tower Books on Oz (02) 9975 5566 My copy cost $Aust 16.95

It is *full* of remarkable and well-documented cases.

Received from Lawrie Williams


On May 5, 1958, Carlos Alejo Rodriguez was flying his Piper Cub over Capitan Curbelo Naval Air Base in Uruguay. The base is located outside Pan de Azucar, a town 96 kilometers (60 miles) east of the capital city of Montevideo.

As Rodriguez banked southward, heading out over the Atlantic Ocean, he noticed "a brilliant top-like (symmetrical above and below) object" at exactly 3:40 p.m. The OVNI (Spanish acronym for UFO) "suddenly approached his plane head-on." The OVNI "about 15 to 20 meters (50 to 66 feet) in diameter, stopped about 2,000 meters (2,200 yards) away and...'rocked twice in a balancing motion.'"

"Rodriguez felt strong heat, so he removed his jacket and opened the aircraft windows. The UFO took off abruptly (south) toward the sea ' a fantastic speed,' leaving a thin vapor trail." (See the book UNINVITED GUESTS by Richard Hall Aurora Press, Santa Fe, N.M. 1988, page 246; also THE UFO EVIDENCE (NICAP, 1964) page 120)


October 15 was the fortieth anniversary of the abduction of Antonio Villas Boas, then aged 23, from his farm on the outskirts of Sao Francisco de Sales, Minas Gerais state, Brazil.

It began in early October 1957 when Antonio and his brother were awakened at 3 a.m. by an intense white light streaming through their bedroom window.

Then, the night of October 14, while they were plowing their field, they "saw a ball of red light hovering 300 feet (92 meters) above the field." As Antonio approached the UFO, "it evaded him at high speed. Villas Boas chased it across the field. He gave up after 20 attempts" to reach the object.

The same UFO appeared again the following night, October 15, 1957. "Villas Boas lost his enthusiasm of the previous night to catch up with the object and considered making a getaway in his tractor. He was not successful."

"The object landed some 40 feet (12 meters) in front of him on three metallic legs; it was an egg-shaped craft with a rotating dome."

Fleeing the tractor, Antonio was chased and caught "by five entities" who "carried him aboard. The entities wore grey tight-fitting suits and helmets which revealed only their small blue eyes. From the helmets, tubes ran into their clothes at the back and neck."

Confined in a small compartment on the UFO, Antonio was forcibly stripped of his clothes, and a blood sample was taken from him. For an hour, he sat in the room, as pipes wafted a sour-smelling "smoke" which "made him feel sick."

Suddenly, the door zipped open, and there stood an alien humanoid female with "blonde hair, pale skin, large blue slanted eyes, reduced lips, nose, ears and high flat cheekbones that gave the impression of a sharply pointed chin." He reported, "She was looking at me all the while as if she wanted something from me." Which turned out to be the mother of all understatements.

Following two sexual events, the alien female departed, and the other occupants took a sperm sample from Antonio. He was then dropped from the UFO in a deserted field not far from Sao Francisco de Sales. (Editor's Comment: They could have just as easily dropped him off in his birthday suit in the middle of the Praca Tiradentes in Ouro Preto!)

"Later, medical examination revealed a scar where the blood sample had been taken and what may have been radioactive burning on parts of his skin."

Antonio Villas Boas was the first abductee of modern times to report a sexual event as part of his experience. (See WORLD ATLAS OF UFOs, by John Spencer, Smithmark Publishers, Inc., New York City, 1992, pages 181-184.)


Forty years ago, one of the strangest UFO incidents in Brazil's history took place, involving a DC-3 airliner belonging to Viacao Aerea Rio-Grandense (VARIG) airlines.

On August 14, 1957, at 9 p.m., a VARIG C-47 (cargo version of the DC-3) took off from the city of Porto Alegre in Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul state, heading north towards the then-national capital, Rio de Janeiro. Flying the aircraft were Captain Jorge Araujo and First Officer Edgar Soares.

Soon they were flying through a perfectly clear sky over the South Atlantic. Below, at 5,700 feet, was a thick overcast. Above them was an array of myriad stars, highlighted by the Southern Cross. The C-47's airspeed was 160 miles per hour.

Suddenly, "they spotted some sort of brilliant object to the left and slightly behind and below them. Seconds later, it had streaked out ahead of them and off to their right--a maneuver that required fantastic speed..."

"The object then swept in toward the plane." "In their witness report, both pilots and the other three crew members described it as a disc-shaped thing with a low shiny dome on top."

"As the UFO drew close to the plane, the lights on the aircraft dimmed almost to extinction, the engines sputtered and missed badly, and the radio reception became nil. A few seconds later--anxious seconds for that crew, as they later admitted--the UFO plunged downward into the clouds, and the electrical systems on the plane returned to normal." (See FLYING SAUCERS--SERIOUS BUSINESS by Frank Edwards, Bantam Books, N.Y., October 1966, page 31.)


On November 1, 1955, astronomer Frank Halstead, the director of Darling Observatory in Duluth, Minnesota, and his wife, Ann, were traveling to California aboard the Challenger, an express train of the Union Pacific Railroad.

As the train sped across Death Valley in eastern California, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) west of Las Vegas, Nevada, the couple spied a UFO. Here's the story in Frank Halstead's own words:

"My wife Ann was sitting next to the window and she called my attention to an object which she saw-- something moving just above the (Panamint) mountain range. Our train was running parallel to this range of mountains, and this thing was moving in the same direction as the train, just above the mountains."

"At first I thought the thing was a blimp--you know, one of those cigar-shaped dirigibles...But as I watched it, I realized that it could not be a blimp--they are only about two hundred feet long--and this thing was gigantic. It was about eight hundred feet long. I could estimate that because it was so close to the mountain range, where trees and clumps of trees were visible for comparison."

"While Ann and I were watching this cigar-shaped thing--for four or five minutes as it paced the train-- we noticed that another object had joined it. This second object appeared very suddenly in back of the first one--behind it, that is."

"It was a disc-shaped thing. In fact. both objects were very shiny, we noticed. But this second one was definitely disc-shaped. If my estimate on the size of the first object was approximately corect, then this disc would have been one hundred feet in diameter-- flat on the bottom with a low dome on the top side."

"My wife and I watched the pair of them for approximately two--maybe three--minutes. They were moving at about the speed of the train and they seemed very close to the top of the ridge--not more than five hundred feet above it, I should say. Then they began to rise, slowly at first, and a few seconds later, much faster. In a matter of seconds, fifteen or twenty, they had risen so high that we could no longer see them from our train window."

(See FLYING SAUCERS--SERIOUS BUSINESS by Frank Edwards, Bantam Books, New York, NY 1966, pages 20 and 21)


Forty-three years ago, on October 2, 1954, a wave of UFOs invaded France. Here's the summary...

"The French government meteorological station at Morvan saw an oval-shaped craft going at amazing speed, 3,000 feet up."

"Cigar-shaped objects were seen at Coulommiers, sixty miles south of Paris, and police photographed marks left by a strange mushroom-shaped object."

"Mme. Simone Geoffroy of Diges, a hundred miles south of Paris, said, 'I saw a curious engine like a cigar pointed at both ends in a field.'"

"At Blanzy (Saone-et-Loire department), two men saw a cigar-shaped thing in a freshly plowed field. It was about six feet long with a pointed metal terminal. As they approached, the fusiform object rose into the sky vertically."

"Over the beach at Carry-le-Rouet, three women saw 'a half-cigar in the sky, throwing out smoke.'"

"Over Les Invalides airport in Paris, actress Michele Morgan saw a glowing disk." (See FLYING SAUCERS UNCENSORED by Harold T. Wilkins, Pyramid Books, 1967, pages 56 and 57.) (Editor's Note: Michele Morgan starred with Jack Haley and Gloria DeHaven in the 1943 movie "Higher and Higher." Which, incidentally, was Frank Sinatra's first film.)


One of the strangest UFO sightings in India occurred on September 15, 1954 at Manbhum, in Bihar state. Ijapada Chatterjee was working in his office at the mica mine outside Manbhum that day (he was the manager) when he heard the miners shouting. Rushing outdoors, Chatterjee "watched a saucer-shaped object descend to an altitude of about 500 feet. The UFO hovered, then soared upwards at terrific speed, causing a tremendous gust of wind."

"The object was seen over a mine which has supplied berylium for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission." (See THE UFO EVIDENCE, Barnes & Noble Books, Copyright 1964 by the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, editor-Richard H. Hall, page 124)

Today marks the birthday of that fundamentalist firebrand, Girolamo Savonarola, born in northern Italy on September 21, 1452. As a Dominican friar, Savonarola's preaching won over such a legion of followers that he was able to oust Pietro di Medici and rule Florence for three years as a religious dictator. In addition to dumping on the Medicis and other Renaissance princes, Savonarola criticized Pope Alexander VI (nee Rodrigo Borgia, uncle of Cesare and Lucrezia). It seems Rodrigo was breaking his vow of chastity three or four times a week with his 15-year-old mistress, Francesca. Arrested by the Inquisition, Savonarola was tried and convicted of heresy and sedition. He was burned at the stake on May 23, 1498. Happy birthday, Girolamo!


On November 13, 1953, British viewers watching their black-and-white "telly" were amazed when the BBC presented a newsreel describing an encounter between a flying saucer and two RAF jet planes.

The two pilots said "that they saw, while in the air, a saucer whose speed was fantastic. As it moved, it jetted flames or a light that appeared brighter at the periphery than in the center."

"At 7 p.m., a circular object, blue in the center, was seen over Southend, Essex, trailing sparks. Altitude not very high, course horizontal, north to south."

"At 7:10 p.m., the same or a similar object was seen, glowing, to pass over Guildford, sixty-five miles away. Probably speed: 360 miles an hour." (See FLYING SAUCERS UNCENSORED by Harold T. Wilkins, The Citadel Press, 1955, page 62.)


On November 20, 1952, George Adamski, 62, of Palomar Gardens, California, a short-order cook and part-time mystic, invited several friends to spend the day saucer-hunting in the Mojave Desert.

In two cars, Adamski, his publicist Mrs. Lucy McKinnis, his landlady Mrs. Alice K. Wells, Mr. and Mrs. Al Bailey of Winslow, Arizona and Dr. and Mrs. George H. Williamson of Prescott, Arizona set off for Blythe, California, hoping to see a UFO.

Morning's end found the party 10 miles east of Desert Centre, California. At about 12:15 p.m., the group saw a cigar-shaped object crossing the sky. Adamski then hiked into an arroyo, intending to set up his camera for a better shot.

Alone in the arroyo, "he saw a flash in the sky and 'a beautiful craft appeared to be drifting through a saddle between two of the mountain peaks.' Then Adamski realized that a man was beckoning to him from the opening of a ravine about 450 yards (410 meters) away."

In his book FLYING SAUCERS HAVE LANDED, Adamski described the newcomer as "about five feet, six inches (1.5 meters) tall , weighed about 135 lbs. and appeared--in Earthly terms--to be about 28 years old. He had wavy shoulder-length sandy hair. His skin was the color of a suntanned Caucasian's. He had an extremely high forehead, 'calm, gray-green eyes' that slanted slightly at the corners, high cheekbones, and a 'finely chiseled' nose...'The alien was wearing a single-piece, finely-woven, chocolate- brown suit with no visible fasteners or pockets, with a broad waistband and a close-fitting high collar. His shoes were ox-blood red, with blunt toes.'"

By using "a mixture of hand signals and telepathy," the occupant reportedly told Adamski that his name was Orthon, and that he'd travelled to Earth from the planet Venus. He said several alien saucers had been "shot down by men of this world" and the time was coming when extraterrestrials would openly land on Earth. (See UFO--THE COMPLETE SIGHTINGS by Peter Brookesmith, Barnes & Noble Books, New York, 1995, pages 56 and 57.)

(Editor's Note: In 1952, most people thought Venus was "Earth's twin." Now we know that the plant has a surface temperature hot enough to melt metal, with an air pressure equivalent to the bottom of one of Earth's oceans. Considering Venus's carbon dioxide cloud cover and runaway "greenhouse effect," it's unlikely that Orthon came from there. Also, it's been pointed out that four of Adamski's witnesses later recanted their 1952 testimony. Then again, Galileo Galilei recanted his views, too, before the Inquisition. It didn't change the fact that twenty-odd moons revolve around Jupiter.)


Forty-five years ago, on May 15, 1952, U.S. Air Force planes chased UFOs over North Korea. The incidents appear to have taken place in the lakes district south of Changsong-ni and north of the Nangnim Mountains. Here are the actual combat reports for both UFO encounters.

"Air Intelligence Information Report 52-79 dated 28 May 1952 describes a brief but interesting encounter with a UFO by two 'very reliable' pilots of the 51st Fighter-Interceptor Wing, 25th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. The two planes were on Mission C/51-02 flying wing positions in Maple flight. Lt. McCarthy was the first pilot to see the strange object. He had completed 27 combat missions. The other unnamed pilot was the Interceptor Group Operations Officer with 56 combat missions completed. Following is a summary of key events:"

"A silvery oval-shaped object larger than a MiG jet airplane was seen at the nine o'clock position below the two F-86E (Sabre) jet airplanes at an estimated altitude of from 8,000 to 10,000 feet and about twenty miles (32 kilometers) away. The single-seat airplanes were on a heading of 280 degrees; the object continued on in a straight flight path and disappeared at about the three o'clock position. While flying at an altitude of 30,000 feet and an airspeed of 500 knots, both eye- witnesses saw the object for only 3 to 5 seconds and noted that the object travelled at an estimated 1,200 to 1,500 mph in a 'rolling maneuver.' (A barrel roll--J.T.) The reported weather (at 8 p.m. on May 15, 1952) was a medium haze with visibility of 10 to 12 miles."

The second report was at 6:35 p.m. on May 15, 1952. "Air Intelligence Information Report No. 52-81 describes an encounter between the pilot of an F-51 (Mustang--same model as Tommy Mantell's) propellor- driven fighter bomber and a silver object estimated to be about 50 feet in diameter. The aircraft was assigned to the 18th Fighter Bomber Group. The pilot had flown 76 combat missions in WW2 (World War II). He was... flying on a heading of 180 degrees at an altitude of 9,000 feet; he first noticed the object at the one o'clock position.

'By the time I called the object in as a bogie, it had moved to the 3 o'clock position and started a steep climb, which I assumed was the beginning of a loop, but at the vertical position in the loop, the object moved forward in its original course of travel (360 degrees) and wavered momentarily and then descended and disappeared into the haze which reached an altitude of approximately 7,000 to 8,000 feet.' While the (F-51) airplane was traveling at only 240 mph, the UFO was estimated to be moving at 1,000 mph, first to the east and then changing to the north. It was at approximately the same altitude as the airplane during the 15-to-25-second-long sighting."

(See the book ADVANCED AERIAL DEVICES REPORTED DURING THE KOREAN WAR by Richard F. Haines, LDA Press, Los Altos, California, 1990, pages 39 and 40) (Editor's Note: The MiG-15 had a wingspan of 10 meters or 33 feet. McCarthy's UFO was probably 12 meters or 40 feet in diameter.)

1950: White Fish Bay, Wisonsin

At 2 a.m. on June 24, 1950, "two White Fish Bay, Wis. (Wisconsin) policemen were disturbed by what they saw hovering in the sky above Lake Michigan. The men noticed the object several miles out on the lake east-southeast of their position (heading west from Ludington--J.T.). They watched the eerie red object glowing for ten minutes. Then it disappeared."

The UFO report from White Fish Bay, a suburb of Milwaukee, came just two hours after Capt. Lind's last call to Air Traffic Control. What happened to Northwest 2501 that night over Lake Michigan is still a mystery. (See the book THE GREAT LAKES TRIANGLE by Jay Gourley, Fawcett Gold-Medal Books, Greenwich, Connecticut, 1977, pages 8 and 34. Also, the Pawtuxet Valley Daily Times of West Warwick, R.I. for June 24, 1950, page 1, and June 26, 1950, page


One of the first reports of a triangular UFO took place 47 years ago, in the town of La Crescenta, California, north of Glendale and Los Angeles.

"On March 10, 1950, at 8:45 a.m., numerous residents of La Crescenta viewed a triangular object travel in a northerly direction toward Big Tujunga Canyon. Its altitude was estimated at between 5,000 and 10,000 feet (1,500 to 3,000 meters). Mrs. Ruby Lytle, one prime witness to the sighting, described the craft as having a gondola-shaped object attached to a light-colored hull. The object traveled slowly, with no audible noise, and she was positive it was neither a kite nor a weather balloon."

"At 8:30 p.m., on the same day, other residents including city communications operator William E. Smith, witnessed a revolving wheel-like object, complete with shiny spokes, sailing above Lockheed Air Terminal in Burbank, four miles (7 kilometers) south of Tujunga. It hurled southwest through the skies in a path directly away from Little Tujunga Canyon." (From the book THE TUJUNGA CANYON CONTACTS, page 139.)

(Editor's Comment: The two Tujunga Canyons have had numerous sightings in the past half-century, beginning with a silvery daylight disc seen there on May 2, 1949.)