Volume 3, Number 3
January 18, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     A newspaper in Croatia reported last week that
four aliens had landed at a farm just outside the
city of Sibenik.
     Sibenik is a port on the Adriatic Sea about
225 kilometers (140 miles) south of Zagreb.
     According to the newspaper Vercernji List, a
farmer named Jako Vrancic was herding his cattle
on his farm north of Sibenik when a UFO landed
soundlessly in the pasture.  He described the
object as looking like a household flatiron.
     Vercernji List described the event as "a close
encounter between a (retired) peasant farmer and
four aliens...The aliens had the stature and build
of human children, he said."
     Vrancic offered to share his lunch--ham and
dried figs--with the occupants, but they told him
they weren't hungry.
     "We had no problem communicating, as they
spoke a broken form of Croatian," Vrancic said.
      "I felt no fear, as I had previously seen things
like this on TV," he added.
     Following a brief visit, the occupants reboarded
their "iron-shaped spacecraft" and flew away.
     Vercernji List stated that the "pensioner" Vrancic
"is reportedly well-liked in his village and was
described as an honest and down-to-earth man by
his friends."  (See CNI News volume 3, number 22,
part 2.  Many thanks to CNI News editor Mike Lindemann
and contributor James Sutton for this story.)


     Three large cities in Arizona reported multiple UFO
sightings last week.
     The new flap began Sunday afternoon, January 11,
1998, when residents of Phoenix, the state capital,
reported spotting "three shiny silvery objects flying at
a high altitude" above the city.
     That night, at 9 p.m., a TV station in Tucson
(population 405,390), a large city 117 miles
(187 kilometers) southeast of Phoenix, aired an
amateur videotape showing "a large bright orange
glowing UFO" flying near Mount Lemmon and
Spencer Canyon north of the city.  The news
broadcast described it as "a possible campfire."
     According to Tom King, director of Arizona
Skywatch, park rangers investigated the event
"and found nothing."
     On Monday, January 12, 1997, at 12:30 a.m.,
witnesses in Mesa, Arizona (population 288,091),
a city 19 miles (31 kilometers) east of Phoenix,
"saw the strange orange object.  It brightened and
dimmed several times," King reported.  "It split in
two and headed in formation towards Phoenix" at
"three times the speed of any normal military
aircraft."  (The object's estimated speed was about
1,800 miles per hour--J.T.)
     On Wednesday, January 14, 1998, at 10 p.m.,
Arizona Skywatch received calls from several
residents in the Broadway Road/Southern Avenue
section of Phoenix.  They reported videotaping
"mysterious orange lights" over the South Mountains,
scene of the big UFO flap on March 13, 1997.
     King said his group has "obtained the schedule
of (military) flare drops" and will compare these times
with the UFO reports.
     On Thursday, January 15, 1998, at 10 p.m.,
witnesses in Phoenix and the city of Casa Grande
(population 19,082) about 40 miles (64 kilometers)
to the south reported seeing "three glowing objects
with slight pulsating motions" over the nearby
desert.  (Many thanks to Tom King of Arizona
Skywatch for this story.)


     A mysterious bright blue flash lit up the sky over
Exeter, New Hampshire the night of December 28,
1997 and was seen by two people.
     Exeter, N.H. (population 9,558) is on Route 108
approximately 15 miles (25 kilometers) south of
Portsmouth, near the state's Atlantic Ocean shore.
The town was the site of numerous UFO sightings
back in September 1965.
     According to the Boston Globe, "Dave Jackson
said the mysterious brilliant blue flash lit up the sky
over Exeter, N.H. on December 28 as he drove along.
'It was brighter than anything I've ever seen,' he said."
     "A woman from Hampton Falls, N.H. saw a
similar blinding flash in the same area about a month
earlier."  (i.e. late November 1997--J.T.)
     The cases are being investigated by MUFON New
Hampshire, according to Peter Geremia, the group's
state director for New Hampshire.  (See the Boston,
Mass. Globe for January 10, 1998, page B-5,
"What Was It?")
     On Sunday, January 11, 1998, two members of
MUFON Vermont and their adult daughter were
driving on Interstate Highway 91 just south of
Newport, Vermont (population 4,484) at around
10:30 p.m.
     "It was a clear night with partial clouds...The
witnesses saw blinking red and white lights, which
changed to a horizontal row of white lights.  Then
they changed to a red and white light, then back
to all white...The object was low, headed north,
and no sound was heard."
     The wife said "they were amazed because it
was so low and so wide" that they compared it
"to a World War II bomber."
     Newport, Vt. is on the south shore of Lake
Memphremagog, just below the Canadian border,
approximately 65 miles (104 kilometers) north
of Montpelier, the state capital.  (See Filer's Files
#3 for 1998.  Many thanks to George A. Filer of
MUFON for this report.)


     On Monday, January 5, 1998, at 2:50 p.m.,
Ms. C.R. of Ozark, Missouri was in her car,
waiting for a traffic light to change at 3100
South Glenstone Avenue in the nearby city
of Springfield (population 140,494) when she
spotted something strange in the overcast sky.
     "What appeared then was a round disk-shaped
object moving slowly to the northeast.  She
observed the object for well over a minute while
waiting for a left-turn signal."
     "She described the UFO as having a dull gray
bottom with a bright silvery top as it slightly
turned on its right.  The woman had her (car)
window down and she said no noise was noticed
during the sighting.  She attempted to take a photo
of the UFO in a bank parking lot, but when she got
out of the car, the object had disappeared."  (Many
thanks to Brian Adams of the Ozark Area Research
Group for this report.)


     A Swiss family and a dozen local residents
watched a UFO perform aerobatic maneuvers high
above the town of Kimsar, Rajahstan state, India
at 11 p.m. on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1997.
     Kimsar is located in the Rajahstan desert
about 720 kilometers (450 miles) southwest of
New Delhi, capital of India.
     Eyewitness Alex Carrara said his family had
left their home in Geneva, Switzerland to spend
the Christmas holiday in India.  Alex was standing
outside their rented home with his parents, his
brother and his sister when they saw a crowd of
"10 to 12 local people looking at the sky."
     "We were struck by the sight, and there was
no sound," Alex reported, describing the UFO as
"bright yellow or orange.  I'm quite sure there was
a yellow-orange aura around the object."
     The UFO approached Kimsar from the east
"at an extremely high altitude...flying about at
between 50 to 70 degrees above the horizon.
Some of the (local) witnesses argued that it was
a satellite, but the direction of the object wasn't
straight like a satellite.  The object followed three
different courses.  I know the sky well and have
been studying astronomy for years.  I know this
was not a star."
     Alex also pointed out that it couldn't have been
a distant electric light because "there are no lights
(in Kimsar) because there is no electricity."
     The UFO peformed its strange turning manuevers
for another five minutes before "it disappeared in
the west," towards Phalodi.  (Email Interview)


     Two UFO sightings were reported in the United
Kingdom last week, over Bedfordshire and
     On Wednesday, January 14, 1998, at 6:10 p.m.,
Andi T. was in a car "near the roundabout (rotary)
where the (Motorway) A6 Luton-to-Bedford road
meets the Bedford By-pass" when a UFO flashed
by overhead.  The sighting took place about 60 miles
(96 kilometers) north of London.
     "A bright light shot across the sky about a mile
from the roundabout," Andi reported.  "This light
was like a shooting star except it lasted a lot longer
and had a tail.  Not long after I witnesses this light,
I saw two lights at the horizon (near Bedford), but
those objects didn't move any nearer to me."
(Email Interview)
     On Sunday night, January 4, 1998, at about
11 p.m., a UFO described as "a yellow harvest moon"
hovered above a residential neighborhood in
Immingham, on the river Humber, approximately
75 miles (120 kilometers) northeast of Sheffield.
     The object was first seen by a woman in the
house, who immediately called her relatives to come
and look.  Among the relatives was Paul H., a local
     "There was a harvest moon in the wrong part of
the sky--too low, too large and too yellow," he said.
"Whatever it was, it was at about rooftop height,
under conditions of low cloud.  We saw the 'moon'
from upstairs, and from there the 'moon' appeared to
be at the same elevation as us.  It appeared to be
big, as is a harvest moon, but the actual moon had
already been seen about one hour earlier by me,
much higher up in the sky.  The (UFO's) colour was
yellow.  I got out my 30mmX30mm telescope for a
better look."
     Paul estimated the UFO's size as "about ten
meters (33 feet) in length."
     "After five minutes of discussion and telescope
viewing, we checked from another angle from another
room, but in the time I moved from one room to
another, it had moved so as to be no longer visible...
I went back to my room, and it appeared that the
'moon' was rapidly being covered by cloud--much like
watching an eclipse," he noted, adding that, because
of the overcast, "nothing was visible above 50 degrees"
from the horizon.  (Email Interview)


     On December 21, 1997, ufologist Geert van
Halem left his home on the van Beethovenstraat
in Gorinchem in the Netherlands when he
spotted a strange object in the northern sky.
     Van Halem described the UFO as "about 8
to 10 meters (25 to 33 feet) in diameter, which
illuminated a bright white light.  It was not normal
light but was kind of a shiny glow.  Its altitude was
about 500 meters (1,650 feet) and it was about 45
degrees above the horizon.  It was hovering
silently above my neighborhood."
     Van Halem said he had seen an identical
white UFO in the same part of the sky the
night of October 30, 1997.
     On November 8, 1997, at 7 p.m., he observed
"an object which illuminated a bright red light with
a kind of glow to it" to the north-northwest "at an
angle of about 50 degrees above the horizon."
     Two weeks later, while bicycling after dark
across a dyke on the Merwedekanaal in the
nearby village of Woudrichem, he saw "an object
about 20 meters in length.  I could see a row of
lights around the object, but I'm not sure if it was
circular or similarly shaped...It moved silently with
a speed of 17.5 meters per second  (i.e. 6,300
kilometers per hour or 3,780 miles per hour--J.T.)
It was this speed that convinced me that it could
have absolutely not been an airplane."  (Many thanks
to Dutch readers Stephan and Annet for forwarding
this story.)


     On Monday evening, January 12, 1998, Spanish
police arrested another 19 members of Centro
Sagrado de Isis in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
     Santa Cruz is on the north shore of Tenerife,
one of the seven Islas Canarias (Canary Islands)
off the northwestern coast of Africa.
     "The nineteen, including three children, were
taken into custody late Monday, after police
searched a house belonging to their jailed leader,"
Dr. Heide Fittkau-Garthe, 57, of Santa Cruz de
Tenerife, "said Mari Paz Bernal, a spokeswoman
for the Interior Ministry."
     "Their leader, Heide Fittkau-Garthe, 57, was
arrested last week and accused of an earlier plot
to lead her 31 followers in a mass suicide.
According to police, the original scheme called
for the followers to kill themselves on January 8--
the day they reportedly believed the world would end."
    "Fittkau-Garthe has denied the charges of a group
plot to take their lives."
     "The followers, police said, believed a space
ship would come and pick up their bodies at
(Pico de) Teide (a volcano) on Tenerife."
     On Tuesday, January 13, 1998, the nineteen
suspects, all Germans who had recently come to
Tenerife, were "released without charge...a day
after being accused of allegedly planning to take
part in a mass suicide."
     Sra. Paz Bernal reportedly had no comment
about whether the release meant the Spanish police
still considered the group "a dangerous cult."
     "Police said they would continue to monitor the
Germans, who were staying in Fittkau-Garthe's
house, but they were free to leave the country."
      The other 12 members, including Germans and
Belgians, were not arrested, Sra. Paz Bernal said.
     Dr. Fittkau-Garthe remains in police custody in
Santa Cruz de Tenerife.  Her attorney, Enrique
Porres, said the doctor is "currently charged with
attempted murder and incitement to suicide" and
added that "the allegations were unfounded."
     Dr. Fittkau-Garthe dispenses "spiritual therapy,"
Porres said, and Centro Sagrado de Isis "has
nothing to do with mass suicide."
     "During their search of Fittkau-Garthe's house,
police discovered a child's drawing of a UFO and
then concocted the spaceship story, he says."
(See the Las Vegas, Nevada Sun for January 13,
1998, "German Cult Members Released.")
(Editor's Comment:  No doubt about it.  Dr. Heide
Fittkau-Garthe is the new John Ford.  Free thought
in the NATO countries?  In the words of an old
farmer I met in Bethel, Maine..."Ain't no such
animal, sonny!")


     Dr. Heide Fittkau-Garthe's decision to locate her
Centro Sagrado de Isis in the Canary Islands, owned
by Spain, probably has much to do with the seven
islands' unusual history.
     Although located out in the Atlantic Ocean, the
islands were known to the ancient Phoenicians,
Greeks and Romans.
     Roman author Pliny, in his HISTORIA NATURALIS,
Book IV, pages 31-32, describes the Canaries as
the "Happy Islands" or "Blessed Islands," located
750 miles "southwest of Gades."  (modern Cadiz,
     Around 85 B.C., the Roman general Sertorius
and his followers fled to "Junonia" (Gran Canaria
island) after his arch-rival Sulla siezed power and
became dictator of Rome.  Sertorius brought with
him the rebel treasury, which is reportedly buried
somewhere in the islands.
     On April 11, 1307, a caravel belonging to the
Knights Templar sailed down the Seine from Paris,
loaded to the gunwales with medeival iron-bound
chests brimming with gold, silver and jewels.  This
particular Templar treasure ship also landed
somewhere in the Canaries.  Just as other
treasure ships left France the same week, just
before King Philip IV lowered the boom on the
controversial Templar order.
     In September 1492, Christopher Columbus and
his three-ship fleet spent a month anchored there
when the Pinta lost her rudder.
     In 1862, a Roman Catholic priest hiking along
the forested western shore of Hierro Island
"discovered signs of writing engraved on the side
of a cliff.  At the base of the rocky wall were
seats of hewn stone arranged in a ring."
     The unknown Hierro Island inscription bears
a strong resemblance to the writing on Harappan
seals discovered at Mohenjo-Daro, Pakistan,
the sacred rongorongo boards found on Easter
Island and hieroglyphics at several sites in
southern Algeria.  (See THE WORLD'S LAST
MYSTERIES, Reader's Digest Association,
Pleasantville, N.Y., 1976, page 299)
     In the 1930s, author Paul le Cour, president
of Societe Francais d'Atlantologie, found several
mysterious clay seals in a grotto near San
Miguel de Tenerife, which he claimed were
"artifacts from the lost continent of Atlantis."
     The writing on the San Miguel seals did
not match the Hierro Island inscription, however.
(See SHADOW OF ATLANTIS by Alexander
Braghine, 1940, reprinted 1995 by Adventures
Unlimited Press.)
     Another interesting site on Tenerife is
Las Canadas, which has what looks like three
stone dolmens half-submerged in a pyroclastic
lava flow.  The site is located in the main caldera
of Pico de Teide.

from the UFO Files...


     In January 1971, Australian hiker Glenn Weston had
a close encounter with aliens near Warragamba Dam
on Lake Burragorang in New South Wales, about 110
miles (176 kilometers) west of Sydney.
     "One night while camping in a remote area to the
south of the Warragamba Dam backwaters," Glenn
Weston awoke to "a loud humming noise.  He got to
his feet and, torch (flashlight) in hand, started off into
the bush in the direction of the strange sound, hoping
to find out the source."
     "He soon became aware that the scrub ahead of
him was lit up by a glowing white light.  As he
approached a nearby clearing he could see through
the trees that the glow was coming from some
strange structure that he thought to be somewhat
egg-shaped.  Dark, manlike figures appeared to be
moving hastily about the craft."
     "Feeling a little uneasy Weston switched off
his torch and remained hidden among the trees
for a moment, wondering whether to approach the
figures to enquire what was going on.  While he hid
there the figures disappeared into the object and
the glow suddenly faded.  The mysterious dark shape
rose into the air, its loud humming noise now silent."
     "Mr. Weston returned rather hastily to his camp.
Unable to sleep after what he had witnessed, he
remained awake until morning when he wasted no
time in packing his haversack and leaving the valley."
Nexus Publishing, Mapleton, Qnld., 1995, page 22)

     Bill Ralls has a new feature devoted to Project
Silver Bug, a U.S. Air Force project to develop a
workable flying saucer back in the 1950s.  It's
part of Bill's UFO World and can be found at
     Don't miss our parent site, UFO INFO,
with its vast array of features, photos and links.
Drop in at http://www.digiserve.com/ufoinfo/
     Back issues of UFO ROUNDUP from 1996
and 1997 are always available at our website.
Check them out at this URL...http://www

     That's it for this week.  Join us next Sunday for
more saucer news from "the paper that goes home--
UFO ROUNDUP."  See you then!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
news items from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites
or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and list the date
of issue in which the item first appeared.


January, 1998

Return to UFO Folklore !